New to the Site

Please introduce yourself and Celica or ride(s).
77Restomod

New to the Site

Post by 77Restomod »

I've been viewing Celica forums for a few months now to get ideas for my build and figured it was about time to become a member. I recently purchased a 77 fastback to restore with my son who will be driving in a couple years, if he continues to stay on the right track. The car was in rough shape, but really not rust at all, so I thought it would be a good car for him to gain some automotive skills on. Besides, I had one in high-school and never thought I would regret selling it, now I do.

We're getting close to having it ready for primer and will have to make a decision on what engine to go with soon. I was thinking 7M, but it doesn't sound like these cars handle all that well due to its weight, so I'm thinking 22R hybrid or 22RET. My kid wants to fill the engine bay, so I'm leaning towards the 22RTE with a turbo upgrade and intercooler.

Either way I have a couple months yet before I have to make the decision. I'm looking forward to sharing and hearing all of our feedback along the way!
75CelicaGT

Re: New to the Site

Post by 75CelicaGT »

Welcome :D

I too have a teenage son, he just got his learner's and is eager to drive my Celica. I told him when he has some more experience and helps work on the car more to learn basic mechanics. He will get a chance at mechanic work this winter as the car is uninsured and safe in the garage, as I plan the next upgrades.

I personally wouldn't go with the 7M, due to having all that weight up front would ruin a great handling car, IMHO. There are others on here that have them and I'm sure would disagree :arg: . I'm personally leaning toward a 20R/22R Hybrid, but I know a number of people that have gone the 22RTE route and are very happy.

Don't forget too, if your son wants the front of the engine bay filled, there is also the 1UZ-FE Lexus/Toyota 4.0L 32 Valve Quad Cam V8 :shades: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: . Put successfully in a similar year liftback in Australia http://members.iinet.net.au/~stepho/mick.htm

NOW THAT IS A FULL ENGINE BAY

It is also in progress, by a guy to the South of you, into a 77 GT Coupe forum/viewtopic.php?t=194

GL with your project,
:cheers:
Pete
speedfreak426

Post by speedfreak426 »

I know that I am extremely happy with my 7M swap, but I love the fact that I can roast the tires off until I feel satisfied. Near stock motor and stock size tires and it still traps at 117mph at the strip.

1977 Celica GT LB
-7M-GTE from 1992 Supra
-R154 5 speed
-235-60-15 DR's
-8 3/4" Dodge Dart axle-3.55
11.20 @ 122mph
77Restomod

Post by 77Restomod »

Have you done any mods to the front suspension to improve the handling and braking? The swap sounds pretty straight forward until you get to the suspension and brakes.
speedfreak426

Post by speedfreak426 »

77Restomod wrote:Have you done any mods to the front suspension to improve the handling and braking? The swap sounds pretty straight forward until you get to the suspension and brakes.

Nope didn't really do any mods to the front suspension yet. I just replaced the brakes with OEM stuff, but a upgrade really is needed. For the rear I have bigger brakes and aftermarket bushings and such, but I just have not had the time or money to get the front end of the car done.
1977 Celica GT LB
-7M-GTE from 1992 Supra
-R154 5 speed
-235-60-15 DR's
-8 3/4" Dodge Dart axle-3.55
11.20 @ 122mph
rizin

Post by rizin »

Ya new here thinking of getting a 76' celi so I am checking out what I can about them. Right now I have a 92' Gt with a 5sgte build in the works. Have to pick up the block and crank and all the other goodys from the machine shop when ever I make it back home.
kitfoxrider

Post by kitfoxrider »

I have a Turbo that would fit your project (20r or 22r). It ran great for me very noticeable power increase I could take a stock Mitsubishi GT 3000 in a 1/4 mile drag with only the turbo mod and a stock 20r, but I am going to a V6 or V8 swap now (more power) and have the Turbo kit up for sale if you are interested.